OPEN ABOUT OPEN PLAN
Let’s be Open about Open plan officesT
he following article was published in the Sunday Times. Giant Leap’s Sales and Marketing Director, Linda Trim, has some great tips on how to move your staff to an open plan office.
- Be honest with your employees throughout the process and keep them informed every step of the way. Ask for input on what they would like to see in their new office and any other advice on the move.
- Set up mock workstations so people get a feel for what the new layout will be like. This will allow them to visualise the new space and will banish any fears or anxieties they might have about working in an open plan space.
- Ensure there are smaller collaborative areas where employees can get together to discuss ideas and projects and private spaces where confidential conversations can take place.
- Ideally, there should be one open collaborative area for every 25 employees. It is very important to make these spaces enticing so they are used regularly.
- Once the new layout has been implemented, keep in touch with your staff to assess its effectiveness. This will allow you to correct problems before they develop into bigger problems.